2017 has arrived.. this means many of us are making plans to change something in this New Year. One of the most common goals I have noticed that people post about on social media or discuss with me is to live a healthier lifestyle in some way. Myself included. By the end of 2017, I want to be practicing Yoga daily. Currently I practice a couple of times a week. So this is going to be exciting. Usually getting healthier means one of the steps we need to take is to look in the kitchen.
Let’s explore some items to get OUT of your pantry as soon as possible and a few items to add in. We want to create an environment that supports your health.
7 Items to Kick Out of Your Pantry Today
- Vegetable and soybean Oils. A healthier option would be to use extra-virgin olive oil or extra-virgin coconut oil instead.
- Anything with high-fructose corn syrup – seriously get “food” items that contain this ingredient out of your reach, they will only bring you farther from your health goals.
- Anything with hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oil – again, another ingredient that does not have your health as a priority.
- Refined sugar. This ingredient is not a friend to your body no matter how sweet it is on your lips. I discuss other options in this post.
- Artificial Sweeteners. Again, these aren’t doing you any favors.
- Anything with artificial flavoring – these can include so many chemicals, for example artificial strawberry flavor takes 50 chemicals to make it and they don’t have to be listed out individually on the label. Um, no thanks.
- Anything that has a listed ingredient with a number following it. This includes food dyes. For a non-toxic way look into the ways you can make food coloring out of food if you just have to add color to your food. Beets would be a wonderful example.
4 Items to add to your pantry:
- Apple Cider Vinegar. This is the goods right here. Check out this article by readers digest on 13 benefits of this little gem.
- A plant-based cook book – and use it so you can get in those veggies that your body is crying for. There are so many to choose from. A couple of my favorites are The China Study Cookbook: Over 120 Whole Food, Plant-Based Recipes, The Oh She Glows Cookbook: Over 100 Vegan Recipes to Glow from the Inside Out, Thug Kitchen: The Official Cookbook: Eat Like You Give a F*ck
- Omega-3 sources a fantastic source is organic flaxseed oil with lignans. I also love chia seeds! These little babies are great for your brain, keep you full longer, and more!
- Hemp Hearts. A fantastic source of a complete protein and you can put them in smoothies or add them as a topping to a ton of dishes. I even love to make hemp milk out of these as it is super quick and easy (1 cup of water blended with 1/4 cup of hemp hearts. You can use a milk bag to strain after you are done blending or just use it as is).
This is just a start. There are definitely more items that you want to keep out of your pantry and a few more to add in. It can be challenging to shift your eating from unhealthy habits to healthy habits, so just do a little at a time. Even starting with taking one unhealthy item out and adding one healthy item in will start to make a difference. It is worth it in the end, because you are worth having incredible health.
What is your favorite healthy item to have on hand in your pantry?