You guys, I am doing another cleanse and I would like to invite you to do it with me! I did a 3.5 day “reboot” back in November and it really got me on track of saying no to refined sugar. I made it all the way until Dec 31st and then I decided that for our anniversary and New Years Eve, that we should try to make vegan sugar cookies. We did. And they were amazing. And then I found myself eating refined sugar from time to time. I decided I need another reboot, therefore, I am doing another juice cleanse. This time I am aiming for 5 days.
8 Reasons to Accomplish a Juice Cleanse:
- For those who are wanting to release weight, it can be a kick starter to releasing weight and if you continue to eat healthy after the cleanse, it will help you maintain the weight releasing.
- It can help reset your taste buds so you want the food packed full of nutrients vs. all that processed stuff. After the cleanse it is easier to make healthier choices that will support your health goals.
- It allows your digestion system to have some relaxation, which is great for your gut. This also allows your body to use all of the nutrients from the delicious juice to go anywhere it is needed for healing and recharging.
- Around the 72 hour mark, a new-found energy takes place. The great thing about juice from whole foods is that it energizes your body without the crash that comes from caffeine and sugar.
- Because this is such a wonderful way to detox, as your body gets rid of toxins, it may also reduce any inflammation that is present in your body.
- Amazing way to rehydrate your body! How many people are truly getting in as much fluid as their body needs? Being hydrated is so important and because thirst pains feel so similar to hunger pains, often times people eat when their body is signaling for some refreshing water. Rehydrating your body can increase energy and help it function it’s best. People often tell me I look younger than I am and I tell them it is because I drink so much water.
- Your skin might just look healthier as well. Let it glow, let it glow!
- Get in touch with your creative side. When your body is free of all the junk, you have more energy to be used towards focusing on the creative projects in your life.
Now, it is important to prep for your cleanse, especially if you do not eat a plant-based diet so that you are setting yourself up for success. The week before you do your cleanse, start cutting down the amount of meat, dairy, and sugar you consume. This will help you feel less crappy as you start the cleanse. If you decide not to do this, chances are you are going to feel pretty terrible as your body goes through the detox process.
I eat a vegan lifestyle, so I don’t really prep for a cleanse in the same way. Two days before the cleanse I will start to eat really clean which means only whole foods, no processed foods and no refined sugar. This allows me to feel decent during the detox process. Depending on how much caffeine or sugar I have been participating in, it can influence the first two days of my juice cleanse. However, I know when I did this in November, by hour 72 I was feeling pretty amazing. However, I ruined all that amazingness by eating pancakes with my boys the first day off my cleanse. And my nose stuffed up immediately and I thought, oh man… I just undid all that awesomeness. However, I was able to stay away from the sugar until I DECIDED I was going to make cookies as a memory with my boys. Now I DECIDED memories will have to be around non-sugar items.
This leads me to encouraging you to introduce a variety of foods slowly after the cleanse. Especially if you do it for more than 3 days. Don’t overstress that gut that just came back from vacation. Continue to nurture it by giving it whole foods for the first couple days and then you can add back in the other foods slowly. Be mindful about what you are going to choose to put back into your body. Your body will function at the level you treat it.
Here are the juice recipes I used and the plan I followed:
I add in an extra juice because I plan to continue to do yoga or other forms of movement while on a my juice cleanse. If you do not plan on movement being a part of your week, you can decide to consume 6 juices instead of 7. I also select one green juice to add 1/2 teaspoon of Spirulina to each day. You can space out the juice every 2-3 hours, depending on how many you are planning to consume in the day. I also use only organic produce. Get whatever you can local as well in order to get the most nutrition for your buck. I also use a masticating juicer, because it produces more juice from the produce that I purchase and provides more nutrients. I use the Omega J8006 Nutrition Center Juicer – Black and Chrome. I like to make my juice as I am going to drink it to get the most nutrition from it, however, if you are not able to do that, make your juices for the day each morning. The recipes are inspired by whatsgabycooking with a couple tweaks.
- Wake up and have a warm herbal tea.
- 1st Green Juice
- 8-16oz of coconut water
- 1st Orange Juice
- 2nd Green Juice
- Red Juice
- 3rd Green Juice
- 2nd Orange Juice
- Nut milk based super simple smoothie
- End the night with an herbal tea
- Drink water and/or herbal tea throughout the day as desired
- 3 handfuls of mixed greens (I used spinach, chard, and kale)
- 2 romaine lettuce leafs
- a handful of parsley
- 1 English Cucumber
- 2 celery sticks
- 1 apple
- 1 inch of ginger
- Juice of one lemon
- 9 large carrots
- 1 apple
- 1 cup of pineapple
- 1 inch of turmeric root
- juice from 1 orange
- juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 2 medium-sized red beets
- 1 handful of mixed greens
- 1 apple of choice
- 3 large carrots
- 1 inch of ginger
- Juice from 1 orange
- 2 cups of homemade almond or hemp milk
- a handful of strawberries
- a dash of cinnamon
A few more tips to make your cleanse successful:
- Enjoy the process. This is something you are doing to better your life, not punish yourself.
- Mind set is key. Stay positive and engage in things that put you in a positive mood.
- Have a juice before going anywhere if food will be present.
- Do lighter workouts during your cleanse.
- If you have any health conditions, check with your doctor before participating in a cleanse.
I’d love to hear about your cleansing experience. Share away and remember to subscribe 🙂 xoxoxo